Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Day Breakfast - Oh, and I'm still alive!

So I haven't posted anything for quite some time. Excuse? I'm a college student! And now school is out for the summer. I made it through a finals week that threw 6 exams my way. I'm hopeful that I came out of the mess with a 4.0.

And now I'm living at home for the next three months, in my beautiful house with all its rooms and its kitchen appliances. I had a great freshman year experience, but it's nice to move out of my cramped dorm room and back into our spacious house.



So, a Mother's Day post!

Gretchen loves omelets, so I'm making her a mushroom/olive/cheese one for brunch this morning. Of course I wasn't overly excited about something that requires no baking, so I decided to whip up a batch of lemon poppy seed muffins as well.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/8 cup poppy seeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup lemon flavored yogurt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin.

Combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, yogurt, vegetable oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Blend well and pour over the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.

Spoon batter evenly between prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes.







Okay, so I changed this recipe slightly. The lemon juice was intended to be combined with 3 tablespoons of white sugar and used as a glaze. I, however, was an idiot, didn't read the directions correctly, and threw it into the wet ingredients mix. When I realized my mistake, I threw in a tiny bit of extra flour. I'm sure that the muffins with the glaze were good, but I can tell you that putting the lemon juice directly into the mix didn't hurt the muffins at all.

I was afraid that my dad would think otherwise, but he gave me a great review. Phew.

The original recipe also called for 1/4 cup of poppy seeds, but that seemed like way too much. I put about 1/8 cup in and ended up throwing in a bit more. It's just kind of a preference thing.

And I think that one lemon was plenty for 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, but I juiced two lemons, so I used a bit of extra zest from the second lemons. I'm not afraid of lemon flavor.

Our house smells heavenly.

1 comment:

  1. Will be making some healthier version of these. Did they have enough lemon flavor? I like lemon a lot...

    ReplyDelete